Friday, August 22, 2008

Age of Aquarius. I mean, Capricorn.

"The bewilderments of the eyes are of two kinds, and arise from two causes," wrote Plato in The Republic, "either from coming out of the light or from going into the light, which is true of the mind's eye quite as much as of the bodily eye." He goes on to say that when a person leaves the light and enters into the shadows, his vision is perplexed, being unaccustomed to the dark. And when he moves from the murk into the brightness, it takes a while for his sight to adjust to the dazzle. According to my analysis of the astrological omens, Capricorn, you had to deal with the first kind of temporary blindness about three weeks ago, and will begin experiencing the second kind any day now.

While I'm skeptical of horoscopes and how we must stretch the vague into relevance, sometimes a horoscope strikes me as prescient, or at least hopeful, and so I save them, pressed to my heart like a small treasure. The soft light of hope, a starry wish on a clear night... Because sometimes I need that, in the midst of my cynical life.

Like getting over Nic. Realizing that I'll never fully get over him until I forgive him. And myself. That's an important step, if not a full recovery.

Understanding that maybe my grandest goal in life is to accept and love myself.

Knowing that honesty with myself is tantamount in a relationship, and honesty with another, an exciting prospect.

I'm restless, but gritting my teeth, and hoping. Hoping. Hoping.

And I've got a very long weekend ahead.

No comments: