Thursday, June 11, 2009

...is back at it again


I'm flirting with Tropic of Cancer right now, and want to be a beautiful writer again. This life of the bohemian, the hobo literature - I want the bravery to strike out with a pocketful of coins and a packed bag full of underwear and blank notebooks.


Henry Miller does successfully what I think Jack Kerouac attempted and failed - at least in capturing my attention - to exploit the beauty of stream of consciousness writing.


It's helpful, I think, that I've read Anais Nin before Henry Miller. Nin has softened my opinion of Miller's bravado. Kerouac always seemed like a chauvenist, but perhaps it was a literary pose, and he was as delicate as Miller.

Free Blog Counter





1 comment:

melanie said...

I loved Tropic of Cancer and how it also inspired me to write again. I haven't read Nin, but I think the introduction to Tropic of Cancer helped me get past the bravado.