Thursday, August 28, 2008

Some other thoughts. Written last night before bed.

It's funny, because today I was reading through some blogs, and one of them mentioned African Americans in Unitarian Universalism. It's so funny how topics seem to bubble up in disparate places at oddly coincidental times.

At the meeting of the Racial Justice Committee, the outgoing co-chair's husband brought up the fact that he feels that a racial justice committee that focuses it's attentions on a UU congregation is preaching to the choir. And in many cases, this is true. There are many many members who have in some capacity learned about white privilege, and are painstakingly aware of their whiteness. I feel that, perhaps, this is the reason why a UU church isn't more comfortable for people of color; the mostly white, well-off parishioners are so self-aware that their attitude reverses the pain of racism through suppressed ignorance and turns it into racism as exoticism or tokenism.

There's nothing worse than being taught about your own people by someone who is decidedly not.

So what does this have to do with the RJC? I attended the meeting because I was curious to see how the other half lives, I suppose. Here I've immersed myself in the young, poor, (politically) active culture, and feel terribly unaware of what else is going on. What are other people doing (to fight racism)? People who have the money and influence, I suppose, and maybe the experience, to get things done on a different plane.

I admire what mNSC and other young groups are doing: combining race and class for one monolithic fight. And, after the RJC meeting, it's apparent that this is what "the others" are doing. (the others meaning... middle class, white, middle aged, and so forth.)

Somehow, though, it seems that the world still wants to listen to people like the members of the RJC and not members of mNSC.

But I want to work with both. There must be ways to dabble in both: the privileged and the destitute, the content and the restlessly active, the influential and the revolutionary.

Hmm.

The RJC is involved in a few things. One member leads Racial Healing workshops. One woman participates with the Center for Teaching Entrepreneurship. Another attends MICAH (Milwaukee Innercity Congregations Allied for Hope). And one member recently started a Race and Criminal Justice Task Force. So they have their fingers in awareness, education and inter racial/interfaith networking.

I really want to be involved in any way possible. I'm grinding my teeth and ready to kick some doors down!


NOTE: I may be starting a Race and Film Task Force at First Unitarian Society in Milwaukee!!

No comments: