Thursday, August 14, 2008

Trying to Get Involved

Tuesday night, after my expensively awkward haircut, I went to People's Books for an MNSC meeting. Small group of people, only some of whom I recognized. The dynamics were fascinating.

There was Sarandi, trying to be serious and business-like. One girl, with piercings and skinny jeans and moccasins, and essentially immature; not insecure exactly, but sort of desperate to prove herself; heartbreaker, dedicated volunteer, hard-core Riverwester. Then, a small dedicated girl; a nest of hair and adorable but worldly charm. Later, her tall and skinny boyfriend showed up; doting and dainty, and somehow a very vague presence. The architecture student; pretty, tall and plump, 20 and still with stars in her eyes. (I remember those doe eyes when I met her, when she turned them on the boy from Brazil. It's funny how our eyes give us away.) Another girl who came late, who didn't talk much, and left early, who seemed a bit like me, so I couldn't quite relate. Involved but sort of resentful, lives in Riverwest and broke, but not proud about it; she even used to play French horn. But if I met myself on the street, would I chat with me?

There was another, who seemed the only "woman" in the group; she seemed the only one who was just comfortably adult. A little wry about trends and insincerity, but not mean. And then Phil, who seemed young (dimples! poke-y beard!) and kind of vacant at first, but, turned out after several drinks to be more mature, telling stories that bordered between boasting and sincerity.

These groups of kids fascinate me, and I don't know why more so than others. Maybe because I am so much of an other that I watch them very carefully. Maybe because they're such dynamic kids; my age, similar situations, but so beautifully flawed that I can't help but sit back. At the risk of not participating.

We ended up at Nessun Dorma, the whole light-skinned revolutionary group of us, drinking on the sidewalk, drinking under the incoming clouds.

And this morning, supposedly, a small contingent of them are biking over to Fond du Lac market to find out if they can expand the Free Market out there. That is something I could sink my teeth into. Somehow, even though I respect the ideals behind the market here in Riverwest, when I see the stalls full of Riverwest kids; young, white, gainfully employed; I don't feel all that inspired to help. But moving out to Fond du Lac and 22nd peaks my interest. Not only would they (we?) be getting involved with some local sellers, they (we) would be setting up in a neighborhood that needs the help more than poor-by-choice Riverwest kids.

No comments: