Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Business and Whimsy

I discovered the most delightful thing last night. I was in the bathroom at the UWM library, and the lock on the stall had a stylized engraving of a bathroom stall door, and the words, in whimsical lettering, Hiny Hiders. See the picture below. (Not mine, actually; found here. I really do need to invest in a digital camera.)
When I got to work this morning, I decided to do a little research on the product because, well, why wouldn't you want to find out more on a company that stamps their product with a euphamistic yet blunt acknowledgment of their purpose?

On Google, there are over 100 hits dedicated to Hiny Hiders, but I'd say maybe half of the links take you to cloth diaper websites. What'd be funny is if there was a company that made panties, for instance, and called themselves Hiny Hiders. I suppose only Grannys would buy them though, right? Well, I'm part granny, so I might.

I digress.

The product was originally marketed by a Scranton-based family-owned business called Santana Products, Inc. but was bought out by Winston Partners/Scranton Products in 2005, I think.

What I find interesting is that this company, started in the 70s, is so widespread. Some of the hits on Google mention San Francisco, Philedelphia, Chicago; now Milwaukee. I guess there is room in the business world for whimsy in the otherwise dull world of bathroom fixtures.



Free Blog Counter



No comments: